Implementation Enterprise Content Managment (ECM)/Electronic Document Management System (EDMS) can often exceed the cost of the product itself, as successful implementation depends on the business having a clear understanding of what it does and how work flows. There are frameworks to build, decisions on accessibility and security, and intelligent roll-out with plenty of hands-on training. You just can't take away a man's files without giving him a sensible replacement.
So let's reduce the fuss and make these products easy to implement.
I've picked ten critical features to test that are identified on both the DoD 5015.02-STD and MoReq standards. You can request a copy of my comparison matrix by popping me an e-mail.
Over ten days I will test the following features:
- Implement File Plans
- Declare and file - prevent subsequent changes (integrity of the record)
- Transfer Record Elements - Parse metadata elements from ingested data using GUI
- Transferring - documentation of transfer activities including system audits
- Destroying - deleting in a manner that prevents reconstruction
- Searching and Retrieving - including wild card and boolean searches
- Authorizations - only authorized individuals can view portions, edit file plan and schedule
- Schedule - create and edit schedule
- Schedule - implementation up to disposal
- Schedule - freezing and unfreezing records