- Intuitive mechanics
- Intuitive biology
- Mental maps for large territories
- Habitat selection
- Danger, including the emotions of fear and caution, phobias
- Food: what is good to eat
- Contamination, including the emotion of disgust
- Monitoring current well-being, including the emotions of happiness and sadness, contentment and restlessness
- Intuitive psychology
- Mental Rolodex: database of individuals, with blanks for kinship, status or rank, history of exchange of favors, and inherent skills and strengths. (Could this explain the popularity of Facebook?)
- Justice: sense of rights, obligations, and deserts, including the emotions of anger and revenge.
- Kinship, including nepotism and allocations of parenting effort.
- Mating, including the feelings of sexual attraction, love, and intentions of fidelity and desertion.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
The Adapted Mind
Twice in one day. Well. I just can't help myself, I'm on a roll. For my own reference, here is a tentative list of instincts that people are hard-wired for. I get this list from Stephen Pinker's book, "The Language Instinct."