Saturday, August 3, 2019

I’m done with you

I’m going to gloss over the obvious, that I’m spending far too much time on Twitter these days. I’m getting something out of the exchanges. The reward of near instant feedback is addicting.  At the same time I crave dialogue, a genuine exchange of ideas between people with different experiences. I learn and grow from these exchanges.

However, it is far too easy in the twitterverse to take sides and polarize. We have Antifa and Cons, which somehow have turned in to derogatory terms. Who wouldn’t oppose fascism? And conservatism does not equal raging radicalism of the far right.

I’m a social progressive fiscal conservative. From all appearances moderates like me are a dying breed. At least there’s not enough of us to form a government. The best I can hope for is to hold elected government to account and answer a few hard questions.

Anyways I’ve managed to annoy a couple twitterers this week. I offered a different perspective, which wasn’t opposing them, but my opinions were original.

Somehow I got pinned as the “opposition”, but then I wasn’t talking like a radical right either. I was called a “fool”, a bot, a troll, and a JFC. I had to ask what a JFC was. Don’t ask. Google it yourself.

I responded to clarify and protested that I’m no bot. I’m real.

I think I made a valid point but I’m not behaving as a good bot should so for the second time this week a poster threw his last volley and ended with, “I’m done with you” with a few more insults thrown in and a threat to block me.

I mentioned earlier the addiction of near instant exchange, and in the heat of the moment, it is highly tempting to throw in a final shot. But my lesson from over a decade on discussion boards, is if someone is done, they are done. There is no point to inflame further. So I allow my good name to be besmirched and I sit on my hands. Let the discussion die.

Gosh I hate the term “Con”. It brings to mind an ex-con or maybe a con artist. Bring back small ‘c” conservatism.